Thursday, August 6, 2015

Friday Favorites

It's Friday & I'm linking up with a few fabulous bloggers, AndreaNarci and Erika, and sharing several of my favorite things from the week! This is something I'll be doing each Friday; I feel like it's an easy, entertaining way for me to reveal any significant details from our family's week. If you have a blog, feel free to link-up, as well!

Before I get started, I should make it clear that our family has an unusual weekly schedule: PK works Friday- Monday. So actually, we just finished up our "weekend". I'm so grateful that PK gets 3 days off each week! It's such an awesome opportunity to bond as a family & make extra memories! And if I'm being totally honest with you guys, I'm SO ready for his help & energy with our kiddos after 4 days of him working. Basically, when he comes home on Monday evening, it's my favorite!

One of Mason's very favorite things is music. He enthusiastically enjoys watching music videos on TV, instrument demonstrations on YouTube, and live music performances. Lately, he appreciates any opportunity to use kitchen utensils as musical instruments. He marches up to our kitchen, points towards my utensil holder, and asks, "Guitar? Clarinet?" Who am I to deny that handsome boy? Here he is charmingly playing guitar. (Is it sad that my kitchen utensils are used more for imaginative play than for actual cooking??)

Emmy Kate & I on the way to Moms Group

On Tuesday morning, Emmy & I spend time with a few of my favorite friends & their precious babies! About a year & a half ago, I was introduced to this lovely group of ladies; we all had babies around the same age and were looking for friendship & encouragement from other mothers. I'm beyond blessed to call these women my friends! They're sweet, knowledgeable, sympathetic & compassionate (and they have the cutest group of kids you'll ever meet!). It's been so rewarding to find a group of girls who I can truly be myself around- they're willing to listen to me rejoice when my kids overcome a new obstacle, and they've been there numerous times to offer a hug when I'm feeling defeated in regards to our struggle with autism. Plus, we eat lots of yummy food when we get together. And, you know, food is definitely a favorite!
A few fun memories with the special ladies from Moms Group

Brooke & Emmy at McDonalds on Wednesday afternoon

One of Brooke's very favorite activities is to go to McDonalds for lunch. She and Mason each have speech therapy 4x a week for 50 minute increments- 2 days a week they are both there at the same time, but on Mondays & Fridays their appointments are consecutive. 50 minutes isn't a whole lot of time for me to get much else accomplished, so while Mason is in therapy, I take the girls across the street to McDonald's (Mason typically gets a trip to the park).
I'm aware that this isn't healthy, or probably even hygienic, but it makes my Birdie gleefully happy, and that's all that matters to me! Brooke has a complex personality- she is remarkably sweet & cuddly, but she can be frustratingly difficult when attempting to motivate her to do anything she doesn't deem necessary. She and Mason, while both on the autism spectrum, are SO dissimilar. Mason is positively jovial most of the time, but Brooke has episodes of irritation & displeasure. So whenever I have an opportunity to do something for Brooke that I know will make her smile, I gladly do it. 
So when you see me post photos on social media of Brooke at McDonalds, don't judge too harshly. I'm not trying to be lazy or instill unhealthy habits, I'm trying to make my little girl (who's usually battling a lot internally) a little more cheerful. 
A few photos of a little girl who is delighted to be at McDonalds for lunch!
 
One last favorite for the week!  On Thursday afternoon, we drove down to Denver (about an hour away) to explore an outdoor shopping pavillion- The 16th Street Mall. I had heard people mention it numerous times, but PK & I had never been there. A few weeks ago I learned there was a Mellow Mushroom (pizza restaurant) in the vicinity of the mall, so I decided it was officially time to check it out. I'll travel pretty far for a good pizza! It was a beautiful day, and we enjoyed discovering a new part of the city while spending quality time together as a family.
16th Street Mall- a tree-lined, pedestrian promenade filled with various restaurants & shops


Ice cream for dessert is undeniably a favorite! We found this fun little shop that had several fun, unique flavors (Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Almost Joy, Cucumber sherbert!). PK decided to try a "shake-ini". It was milkshake (with some added "adult ingredients") mixed together in a chilled martini glass. Fancy! 
I decided to try the Shake-ini; it was a little different (and stronger!) than the milkshakes I'm used to! But it was actually really tasty!

Well, if you made it through the entire list of Friday Favorites, thank you! I hope you had a week full of fun favorites, too. Wishing all of my sweet readers a fabulous, lovely weekend!









No comments:

Post a Comment