Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Tuesday's Top 3: Kindergarten Edition

*I apologize for some of the formatting on this post being off. I attempted to write this post on my phone, and it ended up messing up some of the fonts/ picture settings, and now I'm unable to edit it*

Happy Tuesday, friends! Today I'll be continuing with my Tuesday's Top 3 theme and sharing 3 things that our family has been doing to prepare ourselves for Mason's 1st day of kindergarten (which happens to be tomorrow!!). 

Mason Cole:
You're a risk taker & mess maker. 
You're a confident doer of exciting things, and your curious brain craves action & novelty. 
You're an observant seeker of adventure, and your endlessly moving, playing & exploring. 
& you're going to rock kindergarten!
As we embark on this new, exciting journey, I can't help but ask myself, "How did we get here?!" Mason came as an unexpected surprise when I was only 19. Being young & naive, I had no idea where our journey together would lead us & what obstacles we would encounter along the way. We've faced unexpected challenges as a result of Mason's autism, but we've also been abundantly blessed by his remarkable victories. Over the last 5 years, we've been exhausted, and fed up, and overwhelmed, and overjoyed. And now we're here; we've made it! While I'm nervously anxious to hand over my sweet boy to his (entirely capable) teachers, I'm SO excited & eager to see what achievements Mason will undoubtably accomplish this year! 

Here are 3 things we've been doing to help ensure that Mason's transition into kindergarten will be successful! 

1) Books!
A couple of weeks ago, we took Mason to Barnes & Noble to pick out some new books that centered around the theme of "kindergarten" & "Back to School". We found several options and decided to have an impromptu story time! We enjoyed reading through a few stories, and then selected a few more to take home and read throughout the next couple of weeks, prior to school starting. 
I absolutely love any opportunity to read to my kids, and consciously make an effort to instill in them the same adoration for reading that PK & I both possess.

Our Back to School book haul!
Reading with Daddy 

2) Potty Training 
Potty training any child is difficult, but potty training a child on the autism spectrum can be particularly trying. Our little ones like their routines and are usually resistant to change. Additionally, they often have sensory issues & ritualized/ repetitive behaviors which make it difficult to transition from their diapers to the potty (which is a new, unfamiliar place, with different sights, sounds, & feels to process). Furthermore, kiddos with limited expressive language capacity aren’t able to easily tell us when they need to use the bathroom. However, PK & I made it a centralized goal to attempt to have Mason potty trained before kindergarten. While he's not entirely there, we've made significant progress! It will take consistent, continual effort, but Mason has the necessary skills, so we'll continue to encourage him to conquer this goal and eliminate diapers from our routine! 


3) Shopping!
Throughout the summer, I'd been anxiously awaiting to take Mason school-supply shopping! Apparently I'm a total nerd, but this has always been an activity I thoroughly enjoy! And this year presented a unique opportunity: to purchase our supplies together! (I'm taking a few college courses, too) I'm not sure Mason enjoyed this step of kindergarten preparation as much as I did, but he sure did look handsome trying out his new backpack! 
And, of course, it was necessary to make sure my little dude had an abundance of cute clothes to wear once school starts! 
Uncle Aidan may have started a new Nike obsession for the little man ;)

We've done what we can to prepare my favorite little dude for the exciting adventure of kindergarten! Now it's his turn; it's time for Mason to learn & create, to be challenged, and to explore & ultimately discover lots of new, exciting things!  

Like many aspects of parenthood, I'm approaching this unfamiliar experience with faith that God will allow for a smooth, peaceful transition. I know that He will protect Mason, and ensure that my remarkable little boy will thrive as he embarks on this new beginning! Here is my prayer over my son, and any of your children who may be starting school: 

"Lord, I put my child in your hands as he enters this new world of learning & growing through education. I pray for focus & diligence to be his guide and confidence to be his foundation. Lead us as we navigate this journey; we ask for your wisdom every step of the way. Thank you for the gift of education. We trust you to lead our way. Amen!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment